Saturday, September 30, 2006

Wadding takes forever to dry.

Well I have a plan. I figure these challenges are a really good time to try new techniques and ideas. Having spent yesterday kicking ideas around, I am now off and running. One of the new things I am trying is painting wadding. I want to use the wadding as a foundation and in some areas it may well be visible in the finished quilt, so I want it to be the right colours. It is also the first time of trying my Tsukineko inks that I bought at the NEC. I really like them. Being inks they are very fluid and spread really nicely on the wadding. Putting it onto dry wadding lets you put in quite a lot of detail, and on wet it blends beautifully. Also I bought the inks as sets, which come with 'Fantastix' they are sort of paint brushes, in the loosest sense. They are dense fibers unlike brushes and come in two shapes, brush and bullet. I quite like them, but being very frugal I wonder how much ink I waste when it is absorbed by the tool. Realistically the ink is fairly cheap and seems to go a long way to I shouldn't be worrying.

Oooooh, part of the work is dry, I had better go and prepare the fabrics so I can get on with the next phase.

No comments: