Sunday, September 03, 2006

Bridge two


I figured out what I was doing differently with my freezer paper and got it working again. I can't claim to understand what was going on though. 'Bridge One' was made by ironing the freezer paper pattern onto the front of the fabric then ironing fusible web to the other side. It worked great. This morning I was trying to put the freezer paper onto the fabric after the web, and it just won't stick. When I realized this it seemed too silly to be true so I tried it the other way again. Bingo it works fine, with the same piece of freezer paper that won't stick to the pre-fused fabric. Any ideas? I sure don't I just doesn't make any sense to me. Still I got one more bridge prepared today. I have another one ready to do tomorrow, then I think I will have a mass quilting session, not that these take long to quilt. They are only about A2, they fit on freezer paper without a join.

Thanks for all the suggestions for further art research, it really helps. I will be working my way through the suggestions as I find the time and money for books. Also it is a new month, and I said I would try and find a gallery a month to visit. I love in London and I think most big galleries are free to get in. So anyone want to suggest where I should be going for the first trip. I am thinking the Tate, partly because it is near the river and I want to try sketching again. I would like to go and see a range of work in one day. I think I remember more when there is contrast between styles.

Update - I think I have a winner The National Gallery, it looks really good with talks and all sorts. I think the best time to go is a Wednesday if anyone else is interested as there are rooms only open Wednesday afternoon.

I am also trying to improve my drawing. It has come on a lot from regularly tracing designs I have produced on the computer. I guess it is like longarm quilting, your hands learn the movements needed. The problem is I don't enjoy it at all. It really is hard work to me. Also at the end of it I don't get anything from it now. Maybe in some undefined period of time I will but I do like instant gratification instantly. I've noticed that a few bloggers are putting pictures of their sketched on their blogs. Doing that would kinda force me to draw every day, but I really don't think much of my work so I am not at all sure about showing it to the world.

No comments: