Friday, September 15, 2006

Digital Rainbow


This is the first time I've been able to see the rainbow I am making from my photographs. I think it will work. As ever the camera picks up things that aren't obvious to the eye. In this case the fabric they are pinned to shows through a lot in the picture but very little in real life. I think this also makes the whole thing look a little grey, but that will go away when I sandwich it. Hopefully the white wadding will brighten it in the same way the check pattern dulls it. When I was laying this out I tried to sort the fabrics in each stripe. I'm not sure that adds anything to the design. The colours in each set are so similar it isn't clear that I have tried to sort it, so I think I am going to just shuffle them and see how that looks. I think a bit more chaos might add some zing.

My board only has space for me to lay out 17 patches in each colour. I think I am actually going to use 20 on the finished article. I have plenty of spares that I would like to put into the quilt. I am planning on making each colour a separate bound sub quilt then mounting them all on tapes so there is a space between the colours. I think black bindings and tapes will work well. After a glitch with the printer, I now have all the fabrics printed. Most of them have been set and are cut, so all being well I should be able to assemble this tomorrow.

In the process of making this I seem to have developed a game. People just seem to love trying to guess what all the pictures are. Given I took them in some very different places I think it will be hard for any one person to get all of them. Some are really obscure, except to those who work with the things I was photographing, and some even to the people who own them. It's great fun listening to peoples guesses. I even have a few I can't remember, they are really weird.

1 comment:

Dormouse said...

The ultimate I-spy quilt. :)

The idea was fascinating and the execution of it looks really very cool.