Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Challenge Quilts - Part 2

I meant to say this in the last post, but forgot. One of the nicest prizes you get a quilt shows is the chance to meet the other winning quilters. I've met so many really nice and friendly people while I have been waiting to collect awards. This show was no exception. I got to talk to the winner of the challenge, Heather Downie. She and her husband are really lovely, and I doubt I would have got to talk to them otherwise. People often ask what the prizes for these show are, and really this is the important one. The people.

Firstly, here is the quilt that won second place, 'Kicking Leaves' by Jenny Pudney. Again, sorry for fluffing the pictures.
Now back to the quilts that caught my eye. This is the one from Nikki Tinkler. I had been quite upset to find that my pictures or this quilt were all rather shaky, but fortunately I must have forgotten I had taken it's picture and took this much better one late in the day.
Judges Choice. 'Falling Falling' by Nikki Tinkler - Autumn leaves collected with my daughter were laminated and scattered over a strippy quilt. Hand embellished beads, Swarovski crystals, ribbons and yarns. Machine quilted and thoroughly enjoyed.This is my, I don't agree with the judges quilt. I really felt this one should have got something. So I guess I will have to start a "Ferret doesn't agree with the judges" award. On the other hand it wouldn't be any fun if we all agreed all the time now would it. Also I failed to get a good shot of this quilts number, so I can't be sure which one it is in the guide. If anyone can tell me I would really appreciate it. I think it is by either Ina Verschoof, or Neradah McCarthy.
This is the last one I am putting up from the challenge quilts, and my photo does nothing for it. All the leaves on the trees in the border are seed beads. They did indeed take forever to put on, as I got to meet the maker of this one. I love it. I have to admit to me it is very late Autumn, it has the frosts, and the chill of winter is really just around the corner. I think this is the one I would most like to have taken home with me.
Judges Choice. 'The Last Leaf' by Christine Reynolds - I thought about a cool, grey, misty Autunm morning when I designed this quilt. Machine stitched and quilted with hand beading.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Thanks for posting pictures of the quilts at Hever. Its good to see what has won in the categories. Helen

Dormouse said...

Thanks so much for taking lots of photos. It must be hard judging and having to decide between such gorgous quilts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ferret, thanks for posting my picture. a friend found your blog and sent me the link. I agree that the best bit about a quilt show is meeting the people. It was great to meet you and see your work.

Ferret said...

Hi Jenny,

I think I have a picture of you collecting your prize. If you would like a copy let me know.