Friday, September 01, 2006

Two sides to everything

Having had a moan here yesterday it seems only fair that today I contradict myself. You should go out and interact with people you never know where it might lead. Today I had to pay for my storage unit, which I do by going in person to the office. I like getting to know the people looking after my belongings. Last month I remembered to take in my portfolio to show the staff, while I was buying the boxes for shipping quilts to the NEC. Today when I went in they started asking questions about exactly what I store, I don't think I have anything I shouldn't there but it is still a bit concerning. It turns out that the BBC are filming a documentary about what people store and they wanted interesting characters. They have now put me forward. How cool? It could turn out to be good publicity. I can't remember where I found the advice to tell everyone who will listen what you do, but it is very good advice. You just never know. I am quite sure that even if nothing comes of this the staff at the storage unit always have the idea of promoting my art in the back of their minds, which one day could pay off. So some of the people out there are great, and well worth going and talking to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a thought >i have been watching a design style programme and they like to use different texture fabrics and art work in their design . i.e someone one with two much money over pays someone else to interior design their loft apartment . My point is you could target this market as your work is alot more contempory e,g your 3 ladies wouldn't look out of place on a wall in a stylish bachlor pad in soho or mayfair . Bw

lindy

Ferret said...

Good thought, and one that I have had. I just have no idea how to get in contact with these kinds of people. I have been looking at various interior design directories with this in mind. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Rude people and idiot parents who let their kids act like animals are in a whole different class to nice ones who ask questions about what you do and are interested, so not a contradiction really. :)

I think the BBC are on to something with a programme about what people store in their units. I'd be fascinated. Maybe I'm just sad. So... what DO you store in yours???

Very cool if you are featured though, it would be nice publicity.

BTW my husband, as geek and nerd, is very impressed by the level of attention to detail on your 'Sound to Light' piece. It's the first time I've seen him interested in a piece of fabric art.

Ferret said...

Hi Dormouse,

yes You are quite right. Sadly there seem to be rather a lot of the rude sort.

I mostly store stuff :) Everything that didn't fit in the house when they were taking pictures for the magazine. The most interesting things for those into textiles would probably be the suplemental stash. Bolts of cloth I don't use to often, wadding, backings, interfacing that kind of thing. The biggest items in there are my super heavy duty sewing machine and the spare frame poles. You may have heard of people sewing through their fingers with sewing machines, this one could get half way up your forearm and it wouldn't notice. It tends to make me very careful.

The think the BBC would be interested in would be the quilts. 'See Sound' lives there when it isn't hanging as it needs special storage provision. As do the globes and some of the trapunto pieces.

I am an ex-physist so if I was going to do a PCB it had to be right. I love the fact that men appreciate that, and that it is a piece of textile art they can enjoy. Watching them play with it at the NEC was just fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for indulging my outrageous nosiness. I like other peoples sheds and garages, it's always fascinating what gets kept and stored. The super heavy duty sewing machine sounds quite exciting.

I think Phill is quite disappointed that he refused to stop off on the way back from holiday in Cumbria so that I could go to the NEC. He'd have loved a chance to play with it.

Ferret said...

That's Ok, I have the same interest in the storage units. Sadly most of them are full of very boring shop stock. One is full of carrier bags, another cheap fizzy drinks. One large one has shoes in. Surprisingly few for the size of the unit.

I will be trying to put in another intereactive quilt next year, obviously it won't be quite the same but he would be able to play with it.