Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Challenge quilts

Having made many attempts to add picture to the last post I think it is time to admit defeat. Here are the winners and a couple others that I liked from the challenge section of the Hever show. I've included the artist statements from the guide so you can see what the artists had to say about their work.This is the first place quilt. 'October' by Heather Downie - Design inspired by the Ghanaian fabrics which were used for most of the quilt top. Machine pieced and quilted.

Second place. 'Kicking Leaves' by Jenny Pudney - Natural fibre fabrics were machine appliqued to a cotton fabric/wading/fabric sandwich. The applied leaves had a wool/viscose wadding to increase shrinkage and the whole was dyed after stitching.

NOTE - the above picture isn't this quilt. Sorry I was tired and fluffed the picture sorting. The one above is another quilt I really liked, 'Furry Leaves' by Anne Moncrieff - Faux chenille machine sewn from cotton fabrics. hand embroidered and quilted over polyester wadding. I will be putting the right picture on the next entry.

Third place. 'Golden Storm' by Ferret - For me Autumn is all about leaves and wind . Daily you see the season change and feel the wind blowing away the summer.

These next couple are ones that caught my eye. There were 62 entries in the class, and to be honest I liked all of them. Sadly I can't put up pictures of every quilt.


This one really feels like Autumn as I see it. I especially liked the little metal spider in it's web. 'Autumn swirls and twirls' by Doreen Mclean - Glorious colours and textures with the wind lifting, swirling and twirling the tumbling leaves which flutter down to rest on the woodland carpet.

Seems like I can't put any more pictures on this post, so you will have to wait for the next exciting installment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for posting these pics. I wanted to go but couldn't

Ferret said...

Well as soon as blogger starts plaing ball I will put some more up. I hope you get to go next year, I know I will be there it is such a wonderful show

Dormouse said...

Can't say that the first place one does much for me, I adore the Furry Leaves though. Even in a picture it makes you want to touch it.

I see what you mean about the rosettes. They are fabulous and spiky, like a cactus flower or something.