Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Head work

I like to be able to show you folks what I am working on, but at the moment a lot of my creative work is going on in my head. I've been thinking about ways to make a trellis quilt with a rose on it. I want to use three dimensional roses so I have been thinking about ways to do that. Also I do like to speed piece so I have been trying to plan clever ways to put the lattice work together. I've been trying to work out whether to shade the vines of the roses, as I am shading the trellis to make it look more three dimensional. I guess the reason this is all done in my head is that I can't draw it to my satisfaction, but I can imagine things very well. I've also been thinking about various car designs. I think I've got a couple of quite abstract designs from cars, and they need me to work on them soon.

I am also taking a class at Quilt University at the moment. I keep an eye open for new classes there as I find them very inspiring. Although I have to admit to being one of those students who often doesn't learn what is being taught. I often find my inspiration in a sideline or a throw away comment. I don't do it on purpose, and I think for me it is a positive thing, I always seem to get something out of a class. The class I am taking at the moment is called 'Ladders and Crystals'. It is primarily a design class, and it is great. I love being able to look at the work other people are doing too. I was hoping it would help me come up with some simple designs, but as the tutor warned me, the designs are more complex than I predicted. On the other hand they are really fun and I will be making at least one of them.

It is dawning on me as I write that I am living the 'if you need something doing ask a busy person'. I have so many things to do already but this week I have signed up for a QuiltArt challenge. It is a speed challenge, on Friday we will be given a theme to work to and we have until the following Saturday to make something. I think it will be interesting to see what I come up with when I don't have time to really consider the design before I start.

For anyone else looking for Popular Patchwork magazine, it doesn't look like W.H.Smiths sell it anymore, but Borders do, as of course do many independent newsagents.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

I'll look forward to seeing your work on the fastfridayfabric challenge- I'm in too, just staying out of the pre-Friday chatter.

Ferret said...

Oh cool, I was hoping I would 'know' someone else doing it. I'm actually quite excited. I really have to get some serious work done before they annonce the challenge.

Dormouse said...

Wow, I thought I'd had a busy week but reading about yours I feel like a slug. :)

The speed challenge sounds like fun. It'll be fascinating to see what you come up with.

3D roses on a trellis sounds stunning too.