Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Digital Rainbow

Sorry for the interlude folks, I've been rushed off my feet the last few days. For someone who didn't think they would like this blogging lark, I've really missed it.
Since I last blogged I managed to post my entry for the Innovative images on fabric (or words to the effect). I did decide to go for very simple quilting in the end so people can play guess the object more easily, besides it stands well without intricate quilting. I had never thought about how people made this sort of quilt. The ones where sections are held together on tapes. I now have a new respect for them. It is surprisingly tricky to persuade them to hang well. If there is anyone reading that has done it I would love to know how. I tried to lay it out on my cutting board, using the grid to align everything but when I held it up it didn't hang at all well. I had to fiddle a lot with the tapes once it was on a hanging rod to get it mostly right. I am sure there must be a better way?

Also I was going to tell you more about the gallery. The short version includes, dogs are loyal, cats are up to no good. Just go look at the paintings, it is so true. People painted an amazing number of dead fish. It is OK to have the back end of an animal facing the viewer in a painting but not in a photograph (anyone know why?). Rubens was so amazing because he painted women, not men with udders. I had seen pictures of his paintings and thought they were good, but when you see them in the context of what other people were painting at the same time they are truly amazing. Oh and the old picture frames are just fantastic. I spent at least as much time looking at the frames as the pictures. I would have bought the big guide book if it had shown the frames too, but it didn't, not even on the shaped paintings. I will have to go back and sketch some of the frame designs.

I suppose I should now be thinking about next months gallery visit. Any suggestions? I am slightly tempted to go back to the National Gallery, as they didn't have the modern painters on display this time and they will have by now. Alternatively I could try somewhere else. It does need to be somewhere on the tube ideally, I think I should do the London galleries first as they are supposed to be pretty good and they are on my doorstep so to speak.

8 comments:

Dormouse said...

Digital rainbow looks fantastic. I can imagine that hanging it would be a pain. Sorry I haven't got any useful suggestions.

Thanks for the rest of the gallery trip. I feel quite inspired to get off my bum and take some trips out.

Have to agree about some of the frames, they should qualify as sculpture in their own right.

Nellie's Needles said...

WOW! and a clever presentation. As regards the finishing. Is there a stabilizer in the quilted strips? I apply the peel and stick heavy stabilizer intended for machine embroidery to the wrong side of the backing fabric (under the batting) for pieces that need to be stiff. Are the tapes one long piece that run behind the quilted strips?

Ferret said...

Thanks Nellie,
I did think about stabalizer, then completely forgot about it. That would probably have helped quite a lot. The tapes are long pieces that run behind the the strips.

Mikki said...

I know its not a big gallery, but fancy a trip to the finchley art depo? there's an exhibition there of local artists at the moment and i've heard theres some textiles stuff in there too.

Ferret said...

Hi Mikki, that sounds like a good idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ferret - like the digital rainbow - I wonder if it would help to put a small flat batten behind each section (a bit like the orginal way of making a roman blind - I say orginal because now they have special tapes with the "drawing up ring" attached I believe - not sure really cos I don't do curtains!)

Tracey

Anonymous said...

looks really cool .

Lindy

Ferret said...

Hi Tracey, Yes the batten might well help. I'll have a look and see what I can find. It probably won't need much just a little help to hang true.