Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hever show - Region 2 quilts

These are a selection of quilts from the rest of the show at Hever. I have decided to ration myself to five pictures which has made it very difficult to choose what to show you. I think these are my favorites in no particular order.'Lime Leaf in Autumn' by Jane Coombes - This design is adapted with permission from a cross stitch pattern by Rose Swalwell and combines two of my favorite hobbies.
This quilt caught my eye from quite a distance away. I just love the blend of colours and the pixelated nature of the image. Sadly I couldn't get into a position to be able to fit the whole quilt in the frame. The brown border extends all the way around the quilt the same width. Please do click on the image to see the larger version.
'Winter Blues' by Eva Thomas - An inner landscape of the bitterly cold Scandinavian winter climate - overwhelmed by snow blizzards and ice for months on end. Thankfully the anticipation of a new spring (flower fabrics) lifts my spirits.
This quilt grabbed me on several levels at once. The snow on the branches made me think of the lack on quilting in the snow of 'Do Bears' the colours made me think of Sweden. I love Sweden so the heart seemed right, and I love winter too. Just fantastic. I love the way the snowflakes are made too.

'Warm Cuddle Up Under Quilt' by Juliet Eberle. There is no artists statement for this quilt.
I had to put in two pictures of this quilt as I don't think it is clear when you see the picture of the whole thing what makes it so good. The quilting is wild, and makes you want to look at it. I stared for ages following the lines about the quilt. Even so I didn't notice until I was preparing the photographs that the quilting goes over the binding. I wish I had seen it at the time and could have had a look at the back as well. Ho hum, maybe I will see it again somewhere else.

'Moonflower' by Heather Downie - Made from silk bought in Bangladesh. Design inspired by a Japanese quilt by Sumiko Maeda and based on the orange peel pattern. Machine pieced and quilted.
I am a complete sucker for quilts with a flow of value or colour. They get me every time. This one also has a really neat pattern, that I wasn't familiar with. To top it off it is made from truly luscious silks. How could I fail to love this one.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

These quilts are great! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures with us.

How were the snowflakes made? Applique? Raw edge?

I love the one with the closeup of the great quilting. Do you recall if those gentle curves were pieced?

Lisa

caroline said...

Love the 'Moonflower" quilt - I completely agree with you about the flow of colour and value. Wish I could have seen those silks in person.

Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Ferret said...

Hi, I wondered if anyone would ask about the snowflakes. They are reverse raw edge applique. It gave a lovely soft edge to the flakes.

The gentle curves were pieced.