Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Utility quilts.





I thought I would give you guys a chance to see the working quilts in the house. I do make functional quilts as well as the art, but at the moment I seem to have produced as many as we can use :( I like making big quilts but I guess I will have to wait until we wear out the ones we have. I have been toying with the idea of retiring a couple of them sooner rather than later. They were some of the first quilts I made and aren't as well built as some of the later ones. Our quilts have a hard life with 6 cats who all love them, so really they need a lot of quilting to make sure they stay together. Also on one of them I used invisible thread, not a big deal, but it was the cheap craft stuff and it does have very scratchy edges whenever they escape, and I don't like it. On the other hand I love the design and the brushed cotton backing. Maybe it would like to be thrown over a sofa or something.

3 comments:

Jen said...

There is something very satisfying about making quilts that are used. Very different from making art, but I enjoy it. Jen

Ferret said...

I completely agree. When I started quilting I was certain I would never make anyhting I didn't intend to use on the bed. I think in someways I still get more out of the bed quilts.

Nellie's Needles said...

Fun seeing the quilts you live with. Thanks. I'll be using your idea as a subject on my weblog someday.