Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Show Update

This morning in the post I got a card. Apparently someone had sent me a letter without enough postage so I would have to go and collect it and pay 1.05GBP to get it. Odd I think I wasn't expecting anything, but off I go. Guess who. The show organizers.

When I asked them to "destroy the entry forms for Harrogate and refund any money" guess what I was hoping they might do. Nope they tried to send them back in the envelope they had for may judging sheets. The entry form all have photographs attached so are quite heavy and I had only supplied postage for the judging sheets :( Still on the bright side they have returned my entry fees, which came to nearly 70quid so I am glad to have it back. I guess this means they have my letter and have read it. There is no reply included.

The judging sheets show that 'Loki' was a flop but there are no comments so I can't really tell why. Interestingly one judge gave 8/10 for technique while the other gave 4/10. So either I did it pretty well or pretty poorly. Who knows. I do find it interesting how people given the same judging instructions come up with wildly different marks. I assume there are guidelines for how you asses each aspect of the quilt so surely the results should be similar? According to these judges, 'Loki' is the worst quilt I have ever put into a show, based on the marks.

'Miss Baltimore' however did fare better and I even have comments :) I love comments on my judging sheets positive or negative. The whole point is they tell me what I could do more of or change. This one among other things comments on the fact that the background shows through the palest fabrics, which she feels mars the effect. She is bang on. It does, I don't like it either, but I couldn't think up a solution. I am pleased she paid enough attention to notice and cared enough to write it down. So if by any chance that judge reads this, thanks. Also both judges felt it was a very good interpretation of the theme, which means a lot to me on this one. The marks place this as equal top of my quilts, along with 'Star of Scotland' which is the rainbow star quilt I posted yesterday.

I've no idea about 'Ginko Typography' they didn't send me any sheets for it, or for 'Delta Blues' which was re judged there. I could try sending them another SAE and asking for those, but I think I am going to let it go. I don't want more charges. Keep your fingers crossed for a reply to my letter. It could happen.

No comments: