Saturday, July 29, 2006

Tread Lightly - completed






Well that's it. The globe is finished. I had to let out some of the air to be able to finish sewing it closed, but it is a bit cooler today so hopefully it won't go down too much if it is cooler in the exhibition. The valve is hidden under the ice cap. It is really tricky finding a good sewing position on a globe this side. Even harder than finding a thin thread that is strong enough to hold the pieces together once the ball is inflated. It was worth it though. I am really pleased with it and next time I am on Watford I will be looking for more of these cheap exercise balls to use as armatures. I want to do Jupiter, Mars, our Moon and an old style globe. Of course I also need to think about storage and display, but I will worry about that after I have made some more :) No point worrying yet. If the worse comes to the worse I can keep one in the house and the rest in storage.

If you look closely you can just see the world plinth. It's not a bad fit at all and really does look OK. It does need polishing before I pack it. I also have to find a way to fix it's show tag to it. I can't pin it on because of the risk of puncture, but I don't really want to sew it either. The only double sided tape I would trust to stay on won't come off afterwards either. I might just have to sew it unless someone out there has a good idea? The show tag is a square of paper about 3" square.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting project! I've never seen such a quilted interpretation.

Deborah Boschert said...

Wow. How big is it? I'm stunned! Tell us more about this amazing project.