Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Union Jack


Here is another of the quilts going to the Festival of Quilts. I made it a while ago as I intended to enter it into a different show, but I wasn't happy with it. I still don't think it is one of my best executed pieces but I like the design and concept. It is only going into the show because friends feel it needs to be seen. I think they have a point, there will be a lot of the same old at the show (some of which will be stunning I am sure) and it is good to offer lots of alternative pieces. So keep an eye open for it if you are going.

This quilt came about from the idea of punk quilts. Where does quilting meet punk? The flag seemed ideal, as it reminds me of a traditional quilt block, and is an important part of punk fashion. The flags are all quilted with song lyrics. The 'normal' flag has the national anthem on it. The others have punk songs. The black and white flag is made with zips as the diagonal black bars, and leather on the vertical and horizontal bars. Oh and of course it isn't really a Union Jack but if anyone does want to buy it and hang it on a boat it could live up to it's name.

Also if there are other bloggers going would you be interested in meeting up. I will be there for the whole event but I am going to some workshops. It would be good to really meet some of the people I have met online.

1 comment:

Penny said...

I'll be coming, and I've got my one-day ticket. I plan to come on Friday, but if there is a meetup another day I can change that.