Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sewing the world

This is blogging for health reasons. Have you ever blown up too many balloons and given yourself a headache well I've managed it blowing up this exercise ball for the second time this evening. The funny thing is, I was using a pump. Still it was worth it. First fitting the quilt was a bit loose on the ball, now it is really snug. I am especially pleased with Australia so that is what I have put in the picture. I still have to hand sew the poles closed but I think I need a break. It is hot here and getting hotter. I'm sorry but by 10pm I think the temperature should be dropping.

If you look in the background of the photograph you can see the globe that was the model for this quilt. All in all I am very pleased to have made a spherical quilt. I think I need to make more of them, and the more I think about the other planets, and moons, the better the idea seems. Now to cool down before I get to the hand sewing.

Hmmm, this spell checker has just suggested I didn't mean blogging, apparently I should have typed flogging, the mind boggles.

Update:
I really wish you guys could feel this quilt, it weird. It is a quilt, but it is a beach ball, but.... weird I tell you. I like it but I can't get my head around it. I've done most of the hand sewing on the top of the world. Antarctica can wait until I have the label ready as that is where I will put it. I figure it is as close to a back as I can get on this quilt. I'm not sure if I should completely seal the top yet either. This is one of the hottest days we are likely to have this year, so when it cools down again my globe will shrink a bit. I think I should keep the option of adding more air as late as I can. I really should do the maths and work out how much difference a few degrees will make, honestly, I can't be bothered. It is too hot for serious brain work. The temperature has now dropped one degree, it's 1am.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Cute idea, love the idea of a 3-D quilted globe. I think it would have taken me a year to make.
Joanna

Ferret said...

You might surprise yourself. I do, mostly by entering pieces I haven'e made yet into shows. It really focuses my mind :)
Thanks

Claire said...

Hi Ferret, what a wonderful concept, it worked out so well too. Cheers
Claire

Ferret said...

Thanks Claire.