Sunday, August 21, 2011

Greek Fossils - Detail

I've ha d a few people ask me about a detail photo of this quilt so they can see what is actually going on in it. Hopefully if you click on the image above you will get a good view. The quilt top is a piece of hand dyed cotton sateen from Heide Stoll-Weber. It is just shades of grey all over. The design comes from the thread, there are two colours in the quilt off white and black. There are 4 cones of thread in this quilt. The wadding is two layers of wool. I love using wool because it has great loft and quilts down to nothing so you can get the trapunto look just from the quilting.

This quilt was made to test some ideas I had which I am now using on it's big brother, the monster  currently on my longarm frame. The dense fill on this quilt took me about 45 minute to do an area the size of my hand (and no I don't have big hands) fortunately I have got quicker.  I never intended it to escape into the world, but I'm glad it did. If you have any questions about the quilt do leave me a comment and I will try to answer them.

6 comments:

Susan Briscoe said...

Nice to have the detail posted.

I find creating design with thread colours & patterns alone immensely satisfying to do (except I'm usually doing it in sashiko lol!)

Interesting to read how long it took to do some of the infills.

I will pass a link for this along to a certain person who is getting interested in machine quilting...

Stacy Hurt said...

gorgeous! the fabric is divine! cool to hear you use two layers of wool batting. my question is this:
do you quilt the larger feathers first and then the tight fill or is it the reverse so you can ease any puckering that sometimes occurs when going from dense to open?

cheers!

Ferret said...

I did sections of large feather then immediately filled in around it so it was worked from the top down (well actually bottom up I put the hanging sleeve on the wrong end ;) in one pass. It's big brother I quilted all the large motifs and dividing lines first then took the quilt off the frame to allow me to do some customer quilts. It's now back on the frame having all the filler done. It looks like it will be about 8 weeks full time to do all the filler on that one, but of course I can't do it in one hit, I still have customers ;)

Stacy Hurt said...

Thank you! I appreciate the answer. (sometimes folks who blog are really only posting rhetorical questions and I get confused LOL)

Ferret said...

I like conversing about my posts. Sometimes I can be a bit slow replying, usually due to work, but I think if you wanted to know you probably aren't the only one. Of course if people don't read the comments then they still won't know but at least we tried :)

Sharon said...

This was my favorite quilt hanging at Innovations. It was a thrill to see it in "real life". It is beautiful and is a piece that has never really left my "inspiration" book of notes. I LOVE this piece.