Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bad Rain - Day 10


Well that's it. It is off the frame. I didn't realise while I was working quite how big it is. When Cy described it as a "Bad Rain: A Double-Page Bedspread" he was quite right. The picture doesn't show all of it because it more than covers our king size bed. Of course it wouldn't actually be any good as a bedspread, it's too fragile and too heavy, but size wise it looks the part.

I thought you might be interested in some facts and figures about this monster of a quilt.
  • When bound the quilt will be at least 90"x70"
  • There is over 4000m of thread on the front of the quilt
  • About 40 pre-wound bobbins were used in this quilt
  • More than 1/2m of solid black appears in the quilt - it surprised me, as most of the black - isn't
  • 4 1/2 cans of 505 spray baste held the pieces down so I could stitch them
  • 3/4 roll of freezerpaper was used to make patterns
  • 5m of washaway stabiliser was the pattern and quilting design
  • over 15m of ombre fabrics went in to this quilt.
  • the master pattern was 112 sheets of A4 paper
In ten days all that had come together to make my version of the double page spread from Cancertown. I am thrilled with it and I can't wait to see it hung in my gallery at the Festival of Quilts. It will be the first chance I get to have a really good look at it. I hope some of you will be able to join me there.

I think I will take the rest of the evening off, and get on with a small art quilt tomorrow.

12 comments:

Stephen Downey said...

Wow

Just Wow!!

Ferret said...

Thanks Stephen. Sorry I didn't quite get Morley's face right. I only had one shot at it because that much stitching does quite a lot of damage to the underlying fabric. It will do, but I know it isn't quite right.

Stephen Downey said...

I thought Morley's face was actually really well done :)
Especially considering I only drew it about about a square inch :D

I can't even tell which is my favourite part, although its really nice to see that big blue badmouth in the middle pop right out (and not stuck in the crack lol)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Stephen's comment.
WOW !!
Great Job Ferret, It'll look amazing hung up where you can see the whole quilt at once.

Cher in BC

Jo Hopwood said...

I was already looking forward to seeing your gallery space at FOQ, now I can't wait!

This is stunning work Ferret, just amazing.

Cy Dethan said...

Absolutely staggering. Nic and I are amazed at how beautifully this has come out.

Simply stunning.

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Well done you!!! It will look stunning when hung in your gallery. Has Cy seen it yet?

Ferret said...

Cy has only seen it on the blog, as has Stephen. Cy has been busy touring with his book, and most recently that involved going to the Isle of Wight to do a book signing. I don't think he will get a chance to see it before the show, where he is helping man my stand.

Stephen (the original artist) is probably going to have to wait even longer as he is based in Ireland. I can't wait to see their faces the first time they see it :)

It's quite good that they will both get to see it for the first time when it is hung, as it will look a lot more impressive like that. Quilts always do.

Caroline said...

I really do this Stephen said it all with "WOW!"

This is yet another amazing quilt from an amazing lady.

Can't wait to see this one at FOQ now too.

Caroline :-)

Dormouse said...

That has come together absolutely perfectly. I'm really hoping I'll be able to get up to Birmingham to see it for real. It is spectacular!

BTW great article in Patchwork and Quilting. :)

Lana said...

This quilt is quite amazing! I hope I get to see it one day!

glamlawlib said...

Absolutely stunning!