Monday, March 19, 2007

Two more Turning Twenty Again

Well I now have all three of my bread and butter quilts. I just have to get them all quilted. I am very lucky to live with a quilter so when I need to commission someone to make me a quilt top I don't have to go far, and he has done me proud with Burning Chrome. I love it and it is so different to the other two.As with mine this is actually a turning 30. So it is pretty big. According to the Warm and Natural wadding we have put aside for it its a queen size. It is laid out on our Ikea king size bed to give you some idea of the size. It is inspired by a book , have a look at Robins blog for a quote from it. It will be quilted with flames in a very cool varigated thread. I just have to be careful to keep the quilting very open and flowing. Really if it goes to plan (and it has to or I will run out of thread) I should get it quilted very quickly.

This is the third and final Turning Twenty Again. It hasn't told me it's name yet, but then I haven't been working on it long. I should point out that both these tops were started yesterday afternoon and we have both been out all day. I guess it will tell me as I quilt it. I wanted to see what effect 1/3 black would have on it, and I like it. If I do make another I think I will try 2/3 black. It should give very sparse blocks of colour which I think will be really interesting and a great canvas for quilting on. I like the idea of random disjointed areas of colour. I also think it would be a good pattern to modify to get a very Mondrian look. I can see a lot of that style in this one and I would like to take that further.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two quilts in one day - wow! Love the color choices for both of them. Have you considered the all-over swirl that Nichole Webb and Jamie Wallen do on the multi-colored one? Sonething swirly might be good against the color blocks.

Ferret said...

I am thinking of doing the same sort of curls I did in the background of the nude. I agree that something curvey is the way to go. The question is do I take a chance on using a silver metalic thread?

Anonymous said...

They're so pretty!