Thursday, March 15, 2007

Fat Quarter of Paradise - Update




I've just taken this quilt off the frame, sadly not because I've finished quilting. I ran out of thread. I never expected a quilt to take more than a whole cone, but apparently they do. Still I thought you might like to see how it is going. I love it and I am finding the quilting pattern very soothing to work. It is also getting faster and faster as I practice. This quilt is more than 100" square and I think it will take about 7 hours to quilt. That is longer than I hoped but still pretty good for a quilt that size. The idea of these bread and butter quilts is that they should be quick and easy to quilt and I think this fits the bill. It is hard to judge though as I don't know what the 'standard' time for quilting this size of quilt is.

I have also realised that having an electric fabric advance would save me a lot of time on this kind of design. I am going to start looking at putting something on my frame to achieve this. I don't use the APQS frame that goes with my machine because it won't fit in the house, so I can't just buy the system from them.

Hopefully my thread will arrive soon and I will be able to put this back on the frame, until then I have plenty of other projects to work on. The piece which is caling loudest is my new nude, but I can't get to that until I have cleared some more paying work. Wish me luck to get it all done quickly. I have to admit that I will be quite enjoying a lot of the paying work anyway :)

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Beautiful fabrics, beautiful quilting!

Nellie's Needles said...

Your peacock feather pattern and that thread is fabulous across the blocks as well as in the border. It's taken this quilt from being "interesting" to being "wonderful"

Beverly said...

I'm hoping you'll post closeups of the quilting when it's done- your feathers look great. I'm going to have to try the peacock feathers, I'm hopeless at the traditional.

Ferret said...

I'll try and remember to get some close ups for you. I didn't realise how much I had scaled doen those images. Sorry.