Saturday, March 03, 2007

Extreme Knitting

I don't know how many of you will have seen thins, but it is amazing. I saw a picture in a magazine of a skirt which was knitted with huge stitches, maybe 20 or 30 the whole way around the skirt. I wasn't sure it was real at the time, so when I saw a shawl made in a similar style on a magazine I had to buy it. Now I've tried it I am sold. It is so quick and great fun. I could easily knit a furry bedspread, and I am sure it has potential for sulpture too.

I have done half a shawl today, I have a stinking cold (again) and I haven't felt up to quilting. They think you can make the whole thing in 6-9 hours. I think they are right, mine will be about 30" by 50" and should easily be done in 7 hours. The hardest part has been getting the yarn off the balls (some have been rewound a bit in the shop). You knit with several strands of wool (I am using 6, the magazine pattern suggests 12) on very large needles. With so many strands you enf up with a very dense fabric rather then the holey one you would normally get with these huge needles. I have 32 stitches accross my shawl. It's great, and grows so fast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this sounds wonderful, especially for folks like me who want things done fast! When I first learned, I used to use 2 or 3 strands at once, that was all my hands could handle....never thought of getting bigger needles! Duh! (Well, I was in my early twenties, Lol!)
I'd LOVE to see some pics of what yours turns out like...any links handy?
I'm really enjoying reading your blog today, it's inspiring me! Came to see the nude, (yes, much less, what was the word, sinister?), it's stunning, actually, & very moody & emotional...but I'm enjoying everything I'm seeing here...I'll be back!
(My homeschooled daughter LOVES the lunar eclipse photo's too! Thanks for sharing them!)
(I'm a lurker from Canada from the QuiltArt group!)
~Anastazia~