Sunday, March 11, 2007

Feathers feathers everywhere


This is my not terribly good illustration of different types of feathers. A is what I woudl call a traditional feather, the sort made up of half hearts. These are teh ones I find really tricky. B is the peacock feather. I love these and I think mine look OK. These are what I have in mind for the batik quilt. I find the half a heart shape really tricky to do for some reason.

I did manage to figure out a way to make a ribbon stencil into a continuous line last night. I hadn't been worrying about it as I had seen an article in Unlimited Possibilities about it recently, but when I looked I didn't like their solution. So I had to start thinking, always a painful process, but I managed it. I was really pleased with the result, and it has given me renewed confidence to tackle the evil feathers. I think I will write to them and offer my alternative solution, as I guess it is a common problem to want to make stencils nto continuous lines.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

I really like the peacock feathers. I must try some. Could be a challenge on my regular machine but worth a try anyway.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to master the formal feathers myself either. I think the peacock feather will work best on a batik quilt anyway! I'm trying to master pebbles on my quilt this weekend! I'm doing a meander from Meandering Magic but making a ribbon spine with pebbles in the ribbon. It's taken A LOT of practice! LOL!

Ferret said...

I think the peacock will be much better too. I wouldn't have ever though of doing ordinary feathers on it, partly because I find them so hard I suppose. I have to say in most case I don't really like them either.

Dormouse said...

I'm not a fan of the traditional feathers but I love the peacock feathers. They flow so nicely.