Tuesday, January 23, 2007

That magic moment

Whenever I sew anything there is a moment when I know the project will work and be good. I've just hit it with my latest item. I am working on an Edwardian jacket for a wedding. The fabrics are being very difficult but I've just put the collar on. Bingo I have a jacket. It is pretty feminine and very glamorous. I just hope it's owner will like it as much as I do.

I've noticed that once I hit this magic moment everything seams to move quicker. It just starts to work and come together properly. I love it. The best bit is I tend to forget it will happen before it does, so I am not even just sitting waiting for it. Wonderful. That is why I had to share right now. I had better get back to the jacket before it gets bored :)

6 comments:

Dormouse said...

Sounds gorgeous. What fabrics are you using?

Joyce said...

I'd love to see a picture of it. Don't you love it when once in awhile, everything works all the way through a project. Of course, when you make for other people they don't see where you did all the ripping out and re-doing. When I sew for myself, I never like the garments that gave me a lot of grief.

Ferret said...

I am using a synthetic gold and ivory brocade. It looks fantastic, but it is a mare to work with. It doesn't press well at all. So things like pressing the sleeve seams takes an hour. Overall this outfit has taken longer than I expected or quoted for, but I have enjoyed it and I have learned some new things about pricing your sewing for others. Things I would do on my own garments I don't do on a customer one. For me I would have topstiched every seam when I found I couldn't sensibly press it. Of course that isn't the right way to do it but it works and fast :)

I just hope she will be happy. I haven't heard from her mother about the skirt I sent off last week. No news is good news right?

I doubt my customer realises what it has taken to pull this off, but I do and I know a lot of my readers do too. I am looking forward to showing you all what I have been doing, after the wedding which is only three weeks away now.

Dormouse said...

I'm sure that news is good news in this case. I think you'd have heard PDQ if she hadn't liked it.

I love brocade fabrics and gold and ivory sounds lovely. My MIL occasionally makes costumes for a reenactment group she belongs to and I always dribble over those.

It's a shame it was such a hassle but sounds like a valuable learning experience (ack!) for you. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos once it is all over.

Anonymous said...

It sounds lovely. Can you use starch on the seams? Painted on with a cotton bud/little paintbrush? It might help them to lie flat

Ferret said...

I think the starch will mark it but I am going to experiment tomorrow. Thanks