Saturday, January 27, 2007

Session 2

This morning we have been making marks. Some of you may be aware I tried to do my City and Guilds a while ago and couldn't understand it then. I still don't. I can't see what I am supposed to get out of this but I seem to have made the tutor happy so that is OK. I think I will have really gone off my inspiration by the end of the day, but I have another plan. One which I don't intend to share with the tutor. I think I can See a way to sculpt a female torso. Even better I can make a very youthful shape with a lot of wrinkles, which I think is an interesting juxtaposition. Yes OK and arty word, but you should hear the class. Is art speak really essential? Or indeed useful most of the time.

I have come to the conclusion that I am not an artist and neither are any of the people I know. I don't know what we are, but I am quite sure we don't fit the 'proper' definition. SO if anyone has a suggestion for what we could call ourselves (that is polite) do let me know.

Anyway I have a precious half hour to do some sewing in and I can't waste it on the computer.

4 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

It sounds as though you're in a situation that will help you define yourself as an "artist" ... eventually. You know, it takes all kinds. You are unique and YES, YOU are an ARTIST!

Ferret said...

Only if there is no risk of being confused with that sort. The sort who *KNOW* thqat anyone who doesn't think like them and work like them is wrong. Especially the they aslo *KNOW* I have no idea how to really look at things :(

Anonymous said...

I thought you WERE an artist, Ferret.To me, you are, anyway. Speaking the lingo doesnt make anybody an artist; even I can do that, but make pieces like yours? I doubt it.

Ferret said...

Ah but can I learn to push boundries :) I've cheered up a lot and I am starting to laugh at this, but it did bring home why I don't even try to do art. Still there are enough people who like what I do so I will keep at it.

Thanks