Monday, January 29, 2007
I took some pictures of the scarf I was talking about. I really like it and I have mine ready to sew. Hopefully I will get to it tomorrow evening. The scarf is made of lengths of Sirdar Organza and Sirdar Boa. They are cut to about 80" then layered between soluble interfacing and quilted. I am surprised by how solid it seems, but I am very pleased with it. I left the ends unsewn to be a fringe. It is a very quick way to make a scarf, and I do think this will be next years present of choice. I can even say that, as I am sure people (possibly including me) will forget by then.
I've had a go at the textured sculpting of fabric today and I have completed my first sample. I am interested in working on a torso, so the biggest problem is how to release fabric to form the breasts. This sort of works but isn't quite what I was after. I have a couple more ideas to try as soon as I have time. I am also considering fabrics to try. I want to be able to make this self supporting. I don't really want to stitch it to an internal structure, so I have to consider how thick it will be and what fabric I can use. I am wondering about canvas. It will be hard to work with but the end result might be very satisfying. It may also bulge better with less folds. Lots to play with.
I finally got my new to me sewing machine open. I thought I now had the key but it turns out not to be. Fortunately the advice I got from a member of the quiltart list got me into the machine. It is from 1925, and a model 99a. It is a three quarters scale machine and seems to have been very well cared for. It moves so smoothly. It also has lots of feet with it, including a tucking foot. I've never seen one before and can't wait to give it a spin. The only part of the machine that seems to have any issue is the lock. It is very stiff so I have given it an oil and will see how it gets on. I am very pleased with the machine and hope to put it to work.