Thursday, January 11, 2007

Odd but good day.

So where to start. It has been a very odd day. The sort which keep threatening to go wrong but always comes out right. I quite like this kind of day. I started by trying to pay a bill in cash. Apparently this isn't something people do anymore and the company I was paying had no idea what to do with someone handing them cash. I was starting to wonder what to do if they refused it. I mean, money is legal tender, and I think there is some law that say it has to be accepted? After 10 minutes it was decided they could accept the money as it was the exact amount. I am so glad I thought to take the right money. I wonder if they will now be thinking about what to do with customers with cash?

I then discovered that my favorite sushi place had closed. It might be gone of it might have moved. If it has moved I don't understand where the sign said they have gone. Maybe I will find it again in the future. At least it beat being out in the rain. Boy did we have rain today. I kept finding flooded roads trying to get home. It isn't ideal getting this much rain this fast. On the other hand the news is talking about people flooded out of their houses by a burst watermain. That is really horrible.

I had a productive sewing afternoon. I now have a test garment of the blouse I was drafting yesterday. It looks interesting in the shiny blue fabric, but shape wise I am quite pleased with it. I hope my customer will like it too. I then went to start sewing the skirt. Turns out I have never had a need for ivory thread! I do now so off for an emergency thread purchase. At school rush hour. Unfortunately I needed the thread so there was no way to avoid it. Also I was driving a Chevrolet Camaro, in England that is pretty unusual and the roads around here aren't designed for cars this size, especially with double parked parents everywhere. Still like I said nothing for it but to go, so expecting the worse I did. Sure enough first set of lights a car tries to get through on my inside. Except as he pulls alongside he slows down and stops, he is just looking at the car! The lights change and he waves me on with a big grin. Cool! I should point out that there don't seem to be that many people interested in cars anymore so this isn't that common. I do however take great pleasure in stopping for zebra crossings. I can see the pedestrians don't expect me to (the car is matt black with a Motorhead skull on the bonnet) so I do, for a man who also looks at the car, grins and waves. OK this is wired, but good. On to the next crossing (yes we have a lot) two young girls this time. Who are so busy staring the forget to cross for a while and try to put their heads on backwards as the stare at the car as they cross the road. When the reach the other side they stop to watch me drive away. Girls noticing a car is really bizarre, but very good. As you can imagine this really cheered me up. A far better journey than I could ever have hoped for.

Hobbycraft, my nearest thread store, has a sale on. I managed to get some more of the plastic boxes I use as palates. Four assorted boxes for four pounds. I was pretty pleased with that. I got my thread, the nice cashier remembered me and wished me a happy new year and they opened an extra till to server me. It had even stopped raining when I walked out of the shop. Perfect. Oh yes I also have two of their largest polystyrene spheres, they aren't big by my standards but they might make nice cuddly globes.

Having got home the skirt has come together well. The fabrics are selected for a friends quilt, and tomorrow I have another gallery day. I think it's all come out rather well. Even if we get seriously rained on tomorrow, I think I will still be ahead overall.

Oh yes one other thing. I was sent this link today, http://www.banksy.co.uk/indoors/01.html. It is another artwork inspired by a Monet bridge. I had a good look at the site and I rather like a lot of his work. There is a lot I don't too. It is quite political and may cause offence to some. I especially liked his drawing of a rat with a paintbrush, and some of the concepts he is trying to show. I could see me making quilts inspired by this site.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm, if you do do any Banksy-inspired stuff, keep me posted? I have a possible recipient in mind.

Anonymous said...

Hell, I'm not into cars but that's in a whole other league. What a stunner!

I'm quite a fan of Banksy, it'd be cool to see you do something inspired by him.

Ferret said...

That car is a bit different to most over here. It is a very easy drive, but no good for getting into carparks with barriers (you are on the wrong side of the car), and it doesn't fit in parking bays at all.