Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Still catching up

I've realized that a quilt show followed by your partners birthday followed by a friend coming round for a dying session isn't the best idea in the world. I am more tired than I was Sunday! I still haven't quite caught up on email, or snail mail for that matter, but I will honest.

Anyway I keep thinking of things I had meant to post about the show. The juried competition Quilt 2006 apparently had in the region of 200 entries. Of which 7 were selected for the competition. I can see why mine didn't get in. It was nothing like the ones that did. On the other hand, I obviously did have a better chance in the other class. I can't believe that there were so few quilts good enough for Quilt 2006. I don't know if I will enter next year. It costs an extra ten pounds to be considered for that class and if they are taking so few, I can't see mine making it.

It was really good to get the judging sheet back with the quilts. I guess they have the rule that every judges has to put a comment on every sheet, which is really nice as well. It gives you a feel for what the judge was really thinking. Some judges really didn't get 'Union Jack'. One commented that there was no need for gimmicks, but to my mind there weren't any. I just made my design which included aspects of punk clothing. Can I really expect the judges to know what punks wear? They all, quite correctly' commented on the fact that the quilting didn't go all the way through. This was because I had to put an extra backing on to cover the studs, they were too dangerous when exposed.

I just have to mention the best phone call I've had in a long time. The lady who has bought 'Tread Lightly' called to confirm early on Monday morning. It was lovely to hear someone so enthusiastic about one of my pieces. I can't wait to see her and hand it over. I know it will be loved, I just wish I could see it in the middle of her dining table. It will be so imposing.

Now I have to sleep, hopefully there is still some hot water after washing all the fabric I have dyed today. Hopefully I will get unpacked tomorrow and be able to upload some pictures.

2 comments:

Penny said...

Yes, the Union Jack one was "punk rock". It didn't have anything that wasn't part of that theme.

I'm really pleased that someone is buying Tread Lightly. You really will have to make Jupiter to go in your sewing room.

Ferret said...

Thanks, I didn't think there was. I suspect that judge just didn't get it. I might have to make myself a globe, but maybe an old one, or a relief map. Not sure yet.

I am starting to think about other 3D quilts I might be able to make.