Monday, August 14, 2006

Frank Miller - Bridge Zero


This would have been 'Bridge One' but I don't like the finish I have got on the edge of the black pieces, so I decided to use this as a test piece. I was worried that the quilting thread wouldn't show up enough to give the effect of rain, but I think with the long stitches it is pretty close to what I was after. I think a slightly thicker thread would be better but not so much so that I will wait for one. I've worked out a better way for me to do this sort of work and 'Bridge One' is ready for quilting. I also have two and three drawn up ready to start on. One of the classes I am taking at the Festival of Quilts is a critiquing class and I am planning on taking these and 'Skelehand' to be critiqued. I might also take "Bicameral Pierrot' as it is my worst quilt according to show judges and I would like to know why. I've come to really appreciate those judges that do give you suggestions on how to improve your work. Also if any of you have a hotline to the weather, can you order another heat wave starting Wednesday please? I know that 'Tread Lightly' got really hot in the car when I delivered it to the courier. Since then it has been quite chilly, so I am pretty sure it will be looking a bit limp. I am dreading seeing badly deflated and on show to so many people.

I am staying in a hotel for the Festival and I noticed that they said the room has internet access. I thought this would be good, I would be able to blog while I am at the show, so we called to get details about how it works. Yes the room has a net connection (rare in this country) but there is a charge, wait for it, 15GBP per day! I can't believe it, that is less than most people pay per month. I know they want a profit but really. I would think that most people who do use the service only use it for an hour or two a day so it would be far cheaper to drive to the motorway services and use one of the terminals there. I am really shocked. I will check when I get there in case they have got it wrong, but if they are right the updates will have to wait until I get back.

2 comments:

Penny said...

Hi Ferret, just got back from holiday.

I'm still planning to come to the NEC on Friday, so where shall we meet? At these kinds of events,
I usually aim to have a snack about 2pm, so we could meet then, at some kind of eatery.

It's a shame the hotel charges so much, otherwise we could confirm arrangements via our blogs. I think I have your mobile number at home, I'll check tonight.

Anyone else reading this likely to come? I'll have my "green stripy bag", shown on my blog, with me, so if you see it, do say "hi"

Penny

PS I haven't seen Popular Patchwork yet, I'll have to get it.

Ferret said...

It isn't just me is it? That is a lot to charge. I think 2pm at food sounds good, I will have a name badge so if people want to say hi they can. Other than that I will be the one with a large camera looking confused :) OK so that won't really narrow it down at all.

The magazine is bound to be on sale there.The pictuers are a bit dark but the text is good.