Sunday, August 06, 2006

'See Sound' final pictures


Here are the promised pictures of the PCB quilt. I am really annoyed with the chalk I used to mark the front. I keep washing it out and it keeps coming back. I thought about withdrawing it because of the markings but decided not to. Now I am worrying about it. Will people think badly of it or me because of the markings? Will it put them off asking me to do longarm quilting for them? Who knows? I suppose I just have to let it go. It has gone now and I can't change that. I think part of my concern is because it is likely to be fairly noticeable, and probably memorable.

I thought I would show you the inside of the quilt. There is a lot of spare wire because while I was connecting it I wanted to leave myself a lot of options for where to hide the electronics. In the end I decided to embed the boards in the middle of the quilt to protect them as much as possible. The battery case hanging from the bottom of the quilt is made from a large cardboard tube, and contains 4 9v batteries. I think this should be enough to keep it going all through the show. I put a switch on the battery case so the lights wouldn't be going off in transit and in the hanging instructions I have asked that they turn on the quilt. I did call the organizers first to check this would be OK and they were surprisingly calm about it. In the worst case I can flick the switch when I get to see it.

The last couple of days I had been looking forward to taking some time off, and doing something else. Now it comes to it I want to get back to work. Even if work happens to be doing a tax return. There are days when I wonder if I am doing the right thing. I think tax returns looking good answers that one.

Before that I need to clear the decks. It is amazing how much stuff has collected in my work room while I have been going flat out for the show. I am discovering lots of projects I had to pause that I could now get done and out of the room. Also in the piles I've found my Sin City novels. I am planning a quilt in the style of Frank Miller. I thought a cityscape in the rain. I love his art style and I think it will work well in fabric. I've been playing with Misty Fuse and I think it will let me do some more detailed work. Maybe I should test the theory with a Frank Miller quilt.

No comments: