Friday, August 25, 2006

Golden Storm Progress



Given this quilt only existed in my head yesterday morning I am quite pleased with my progress. As you can see I have the quilting done for the background. It is a really nice pantograph by Sophie Collier, Sew-Phie Quilts. It is called 'Falling Leaves', and is described as a complex pattern. Never one to take advice I just had a go at it and if you take it slowly it is pretty straightforward. I think the way it is drawn really helps, the line is very clear to follow so you can't really go wrong. I've quilted about twice the area I need to I can cut the piece I like most. Hopefully I won't have too obvious a repeat once I have trimmed it.

I think I have most of the leaves made, they are still in need of some details but I think they look pretty leafy. The really surprising thing is that they feel like leaves. They are 2 layers of batik held together with Misty Fuse. I really like Misty Fuse, and suspect I will be needing a second roll sooner than I had expected. It is just so easy to use and Esterita is right, you can use all the little offcuts really easily. Some of these leaves have leftovers in them. I think I need to put these leaves on before I make any more so I can get an idea of how many more I will need. So for the rest of the night I think I will be sewing veins.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Hi,

I just discovered your lovely blog! Can you tell us where you got your patterns for leaves? They are great! Also, if you are interested in checking out our group... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SurfaceDesign/ I am sure you will find us of interest. We are doing experiments on MistyFuse as well! We also trade postcards.

Joanna

Ferret said...

The leaaves are from scans of real leaves. It seemed easier than finding a pattern, and I've learned from the footprint incident.

Karoda said...

your leaves do look very life like, as if you've raked them right from your yard.