Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Don't judge the judges

At least not until you have seen how they work. I was very lucky today, to be allowed to see them in action. I was invited to put some more air into the globe which is now at the festival of quilts at the nec but because of the poor signage it took me too long to get there and i had to wait for the judges to finish. They take a lot of time studying each piece. They try to see it from every angle and stand back to have an overall view. In the globes category there were three judges. They work totally independantly only speaking to each other when they couldn't find an exhibit. They have a helper who collects and collate all the forms.
It appears that the forms are then studied and the winners selected. I got the impression that in the event of there not being a clear winner they then confer.
From what i say they were taking their role very seriously and considering every mark and comment. It is nerve wracking watching your work being marked. I know they see everything. I hope that one of them gave me some pointers. One seemed to be writing a lot.
I would offer advice on getting from the hotel to the hall but if you are here and in need of it i can't imagine you will have net access to be reading this. I hope i am the only one who takes the very long route.

2 comments:

Penny said...

You must be excited to be there!

Are your pieces easy to find? I'll have to look out for them when I get there.

Penny said...

Hi Ferret, I finally worked out how to find other bloggers who might be coming to the FoQ (search on "Festival of Quilts" on the bogger bar), and have been leaving comments inviting them our meet up. I thought I'd better warn you in advance, before the hordes turned up.

For anyone else, the plan is to meet outside Subway at about 2pm: I'll have the "green stripy bag" shown on my blog. Please come and say "hi".