Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Clearing the decks


I seem to be making progress with my plan to clear the decks. This piece was started in a class with Pat Deacon, at the Quilters Guild AGM this year. It was a very interesting class and I had hoped to get this finished during the weekend of the AGM. I very nearly managed it so it made sense to put a binding on it and get it out of the sewing room. There was a discussion recently on the quiltart list about no show binding, and this seemed the perfect time to try it. I couldn't find any more of the fabric I had used in the quilt (who will bet I trip over it in the next 10 minutes) and I couldn't find a colour of binding I liked. The facing was surprisingly easy to do, and I rather like the effect. I can't see it being the right solution for everything I do, but when I can't find a good option for the binding I think this will be my solution. In the class we were asked to not fiddle with the design, just draw certain elements and then make it. As soon as we were told what to do I know I wanted to have a feeling of bubbles. I don't think I got it quite right but for a first attempt I am pleased.

1 comment:

Ferret said...

That will be another lesson :) I am thinking of doing a class on ways to finish a quilt. The first outing of the class will be with Hel's Quilters