Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Censorship

Yes I should be working but I have been quilting solidly for over and hour and I think taking a break will help. Funnily I've been thinking about censorship while I was quilting, and when I started catching up on my email I found a message with a link to this blog. It has several posts talking about censorship in the arts. It's an interesting subject. There seem to be several different camps, most I can understand where they are coming from. The problem is I don't like censorship at all. I think far too many bad guys get to hide behind it, you can't talk about the bad things they do because it would upset others. That isn't a good solution. However I think I might have an alternative idea. Rather than censoring all art, have some events that are only pretty and upbeat. It seems to me things usually work the other way, anything unpleasant is put into it's own space, but then you get a very negative show, which isn't much fun. The world is a mix of good and bad, so having shows do the same would probably be easier to digest. On the other hand there are times when all of us would like to just see the fluffy fun side, so have shows that are just that. I guess it would be tricky to decide what is fluffy enough, but probably no more difficult than removing everything too dark or disturbing. I bet it won't catch on but it's a thought. Now back to that quilt.

No comments: