Wednesday, May 02, 2007

What a day?

Well I think I would have to call that a success. It has been warm and sunny ideal for wandering about outside (other than the slight sunburn I have). We found Leeds castle easily and discovered the tickets are valid for a year. As we knew we wouldn't have time to see everything this was very welcome news. I had decided that I had to see the under ground grotto and the falconry today. Next stroke of luck, they are right next to each other and to get to them you visit a lot of the other attractions on the way. As we had arrived a little early for the falconry we had a chance to explore the aviary. I hadn't seen a toucan before. They are great. The star though had to be the talking parrot. "Hello, oh look at that bird" followed by a selection of giggles. Wonderful. It chatted non stop in a selection of languages then started calling like the peacocks. Had it not been for the falconry we would have stayed listening I think.

The falconry demonstration started with an eagle owl who was definately playing to the crowd. He gazed at the nearest camera, much to the frustration of the handlers who wanted him to fly, but delightful for the crowd. I hope I have some nice pictures of him, I won't be sure until I get home, which may be some time the way the traffic isn't moving right now. He was followed by a peregrine falcon, who was amazingly beautiful and impossible to photograph in flight. I did try for a while but I am almost certain I failed. Sorry you will just have to go and see them yourselves. Finally there was a serema. It is a very strange bird that runs about and hunts snakes. Completely mad, but quite keen on having it's picture taken so watch this space.

To get to the underground grotto you must first solve the yew maze. I think this would be more fun with more time but played for a while then took advantage of the assistance from the people already there. The grotto was indeed worth solving the maze for. It is full of images of myth and magic, and being underground delightfully cool and dark. I have so many ideas for quilts from the grotto.

This left us just enough time for a leisurely walk back to the taking pictures all the way. I had worked out that to get to Canterbury in time we had to leave the castle by 3pm and we pretty much managed it. We also made it to Canterbury on time collecting some R clips on the way.

I have to admit my main reason for wanting to go to Canterbury was to buy fudge. I went to university there and the fudge had been a great treat. I was so upset when the Fudge Kitchen closed. Since it re-opened I have ordered online a few times but it isn't the same. I was thrilled to find that not only had it re-opened but it is in very nearly the same shop. It was just like old times.

From there we headed north to the coast. I love the sea and take any opportunity to walk by it. It was rather chilly but great fun. I saw (and photographed) somethingp new to me. Wind surfing with very large kites. I am sure it has a propper name but I haven't found it out yet. It is spectacular to watch. They are pretty quick in the water which is fun, but the really impressive part is the jumps. They can really get some height.

Oh as I thought I did get told off for working on my birthday. I found a fabric shop so I had to look. Then I found some pink fabric that should make great borders for the pink quilt so I had to buy it. Then I got talking to the shop owner and before you know it, it is a business conversation. At least I didn't get told off until I was out of the shop.

We are taking the scenic route home through London. Past the Tower, along the Thames, past Downing Street, and Big Ben's tower. We have just come past Buckingham Palace and are heading into all the embassies, and I think it is time to get this uploaded. I will try and get pictures up tomorrow.

No comments: