Thursday, May 24, 2007

Binding!

Big quilts don't half eat binding don't they. I made up 22 fabric widths of piped binding, which took forever, but I figured it would be plenty for the two quilts I need to do. Well, it was enough for the quilts but not by a lot. It seemed such a mountain of binding, but after the first quilt it was barely a hill. I really didn't think I was going get away with it. On the bright side once you have made the binding it does go on fast and looks good. I love this binding. Although I don't really know what I should this type of binding. I had been calling it a Ricky Timms binding but since I have found a lot of other people have documents essentially the same technique. Anyone know how long this type of binding has been around. It has the piping attatched before you put it on the quilt, you sew it to the back of the quilt first and then wrap it around the front. The stitching to finish is hidden next to the piping, it's very neat. I'd love to know who actually did start it.

No comments: