Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Mayday Pictures

Here is a view of Leeds Castle from the old fortified Mill. The mill itself if fascinating. It is made of stone and somewhat ruined. I have lots of pictures of stone that I hope will lead to a quilt at some point. I think this was the best view of the castle we saw. It is possible to walk round the lake which would provide more great views but as we had a deadline to work to we passed on that yesterday. It is one of the things on my list for next time.
This Ibis was taking full advantage of his pond and having a through bath. Take a good look at the black feathers on his wings. They are sodden and and flicking upwards. I didn't get any pictures that really captured how soggy this bird was but this was the closest. I have seen a lot of birds bath but none got as wet as this. It was fascinating to watch and the sprays of water he created where beautiful.
I would have liked to have got a picture of the whole of the maze but the central mound didn't get you high enough to do that. Taking any pictures was hazardous as it was full of French school children running and pushing. The building in the background is part of the breading center for the aviary. Among other things they have baby Eagle owls (who are huge). Unfortunately they are behind two fences slightly offset from each other so getting pictures was out of the question. The weather vane of a black swan which are also bred here.
I chose to show you this picture to give some idea of what is going on with these kite surfers. As you can see they jump well clear of the water (in fact this one is pretty low) and then do flips, spins and board grabs before landing. It is very impressive to watch but in most of my pictures you can't really see how impressive it is. We were standing on a spit that at low tide goes out about a mile. It is a lovely walk and gives you a very different perspective on the sea and the coast.
Here you can see a surfer with his kite. You can probably see why it isn't in most of the pictures. I mainly focused on the human, and the water. I didn't realise I had another picture of the windsurfer in the background.

No comments: