Thursday, May 03, 2007

Busy Busy

Well I think this counts as a good day, although checking my diary I have missed one thing I intended to do. I've made and applied a mountain of binding. I have been collecting quilts that need traditional black bindings, not intentionally it's just worked out that way. I calculated I needed about 1000" of binding, but looking at what I have left and the quilts that still need doing I think I underestimated somewhat. Still I have three quilts to take with me to the racing and hand sew. I do wish I could find a machine binding that looks as good as a traditional hand finished, but I can't, and some quilts really do demand this finish. On the other hand while pondering this I think I have come up with a new (to my knowledge at least) way of binding quilts. Hopefully I will get to test it tomorrow on my next urgent project.

I have also managed to make some hanging sleeves for these quilts. It is a job I hate, so I tend to leave it to the last possible minute. It usually ends up with me sitting with the quilt in it's box ready to go to the show, as I apply the sleeve. I know it would be easier if I thought about it when I was doing the binding but somehow I can never convince myself at the time. I have one more sleeve I want to make tomorrow so I can take that with me for another quilt to hand sew. I doubt I will get it all done, but I would hate to run out while I have the time to do it.

Some of today's work has been on my meme quilts. I have two ready for hand finishing and the third is still drying pinned out. I can't believe how long it is taking. Still I know it will be worth it and I think it will be dry in the morning. So my first job will be trimming and binding it. After that I have to dig out my flame retardant thread, I have a pocket to repair on Tet's race suit, and then I can get on with the new pattern I am working on. This is where I plan to try my new binding technique. If I am right it could be really good for quilts where you need to align the front and back. I guess I will find out soon enough.


Finally there is another photograph I want to share. I missed it when I went through the pictures yesterday. I was so pleased when I saw these on the horizon. There are at least thirty wind turbines off the coast. I am surprised they are not in the way of shipping, but I guess they are closer than I thought and the ships further away. Either way it is good to see green power being used, I hope they will add more turbines over time and thus generate more power. I assume that being at sea they will be exposed to more constant winds and thus produce more power than they would on land.

1 comment:

Penny said...

That's an impressive picture of wind turbines: they have a certain majesty when they turn together. It sounds like you had a good trip out.