Friday, May 30, 2008

Bonnie MCaffery was right

No, I am not surprised. Well perhaps I am, but by how right not just the fact she was right. It is a lot harder working on a portrait of someone you know well. You notice much more subtle issues that wouldn't have even been issues to a stranger. However I am pleased with the progress I am making with that quilt. It wasn't planned. Heck I can't even say I am thrilled it needs making, it's timing sucks, but we think (if I can pull it off) it should be a really good piece. It's from a picture I took recently of an old friend. I'd got him to model for me for an entirely different quilt, then did some close ups for him. By the end of the shoot we had obviously both got into the swing of it and I got a really good photograph. The photograph then demanded that I immediately make it into a quilt. Of course I have a hundred and one things I should be doing, but this isn't going to leave me alone until I do it. I've got the pattern drawn up and hopefully next week I can get the fabric cut. From past experience they shut up once I have the top made so I should be able to postpone quilting it until I have finished my NEC quilts.

I have made some progress on that front. My small traditional is pinned out working on being flat and square. I will get a picture up at some point, but I've been a bit busy recently.

No comments: