Monday, May 12, 2008

Another good weekend.

Well this may not sound like fun, but I loved it. I spent Saturday at the Bristol Comics Expo, and Sunday treating rust on a petrol tank. Yes really, and yes I did enjoy it.

I would admit that comics shows didn't sound very exciting but when an old friend is showing the first pages of a new story you kinda have to go. If it hadn't been such an appealing story I might have been able to resist, and that would have been a great shame. The people at the event were lovely, it was very relaxed and friendly. One of the highlights of the day was a talk by an independent comics publisher. I only ended up there by accident, I was looking for a cash machine, but I am glad it happened. It was interesting to hear from another small business in what I thought was a very different industry. They seem to face all the same problems, and all the same triumphs. They found suppliers who just don't bother to even give a quote on doing work. They struggle to find any kind of a profit margin and marketing is hard work with very little rewards. They also mentioned that they had never really intended to go into the business, it just sort of happened. Sounds terribly familiar.

My main reason for going, other than just supporting Cy, was to buy Layer Zero. Mainly to get the free pictures from Cancertown, but (as with everything about this event) Layer Zero is pretty good. Remember This Moment, if a joint CyNic story based on a magic trick, and yes it works. While we were there I was able to get the Cancertown Pages signed by three of the team of four. Not bad in one hit. As a long time fan, I was really pleased to finally meet Bryan Talbot, who is very friendly and helpful. I am now the proud owner of a signed copy of Alice in Sunderland.

No comments: