Saturday, January 27, 2007

Game Over

So that didn't go quite according to plan. I have a quote i refer to a lot, "If you wanna live life on your own terms, You gotta be willing to crash and burn". As such I feel i have to accept this as part of the price for pushing the limits and trying to make a living from my art. I would have rather had i nice relaxing weekend away but well no one died.
I do still need to produce something from this course for show and tell. I gave it a lot of thought on the way home. I will spend tomorrow playing with fabric manipulation techniques. I have some ideas for samples i need to try and for a few pieces. Depending on how the samples go i may try to make a whole thing as well. I also want to make myself a t-shirt with my quote on it :)

Wow I really wasn't making much sense, sorry folks. I quit the course. I just couldn't take another day of it. I hate struggling without the right tools and materials, especially when I have them at home. I couldn't see how anything we were doing related to what the course was about. I positively hate the thing that had been my inspiration. Note to self, never take something that really inspires you as design inspiration. The daft things you have to do really demotivate me and I never want to work with it again. I hope one day I will love my tools again, they were the subject of City anf Guilds.

Still I am home, I have gone and visited a friend who isn't feeling at all well, and I managed to take in a skirt for her to wear and a fancy dinner next week. It was fun and it made her happy, far more productive than sticking with the course.

I will work hard tomorrow though and try and get something to show for it. If nothing else I have some stunning pictures of the grounds that will provide inspiration for several projects.

5 comments:

Penny said...

I hope it didn't go too badly wrong, whatever it was.j

Nellie's Needles said...

I feel badly that you felt so much frustration. In my eyes all this confirms your uniqueness and I consider that to be a wonderful thing. Take your gut reaction response as a sign that you are well on the way down your own path of creativity. Every artist struggles to find the "thing" that makes them different from everyone else ... unique. I don't think it's going to take you as long as a lot of them (us) to find (and believe) in yours.

You also seem to be wonderful, caring friend. How many would have gone home to sulk instead of thinking outside of themselves?

Anonymous said...

A pity the course didnt work for you.

I haven't done C&G. Maybe one day. I tend to look at it as structured exploration. I think perhaps you do plenty of exploration on your own. I shouldn't think C&G courses suit everyone, either

Natalya said...

Hi Ferret,

Really sorry to hear things went so badly. I hope eventually you're able to take a different direction and find your motivation again. The whole thing sounds wrong. Real artists aren't like that. Maybe its become fashionable to attach complex words to simple things at art college. It's to try and make artists at the Tate Modern sound smart ;)

Shame it didn't work out. Hope next week is better.

Nat

Ferret said...

Thanks guys, the vote of confidence is much appreciated. I hope the pictures of my work will amuse you.

I will be back on track tomorrow I have lots I want to get done, including entereing several shows :)

I wonder if the tutor will ever bother to look at my work, after I tried to convince her I like experimental, outside the box and non conformist. She felt the fact that I don't was why I struggled with the class. :)