Thursday, July 31, 2008

I might be winning

Or I might be fighting the quilt to a draw. It's a close call. Yesterday my machine wouldn't play. Not at all, I guess I managed an area about the size of both hands in 6 hours. Not what I need with a deadline looming. This morning wasn't a lot more promising. However a good clean, re time, new needle and different thread colour got me going again. Dunno how I will fare when I go back to the lilac, ask me tomorrow. Still I have now made reasonable progress. I can believe this quilt may be finished in time, by the skin of my teeth. It's going to cost though, I expect to spend the weekend flat on my back of in warm baths. The very dense quilting is hard physical work. I also finished the second book today, and started the third. I am keeping to Heinlein as long as I can. So far I have listened to "The cat who walks through walls" and "The door into summer" and now I am on "The moon is a harsh mistress". If I need a fourth book, and I suspect I will, I either have to re listen to something or move to a joint project "Variable Star". It's going to be a tough call, but without the books I will go nuts doing this quilt, so I will be listening to something. For now though, it's bed time. I can't quilt anymore, my hands are shaking too much.

2 comments:

Leni said...

What a brilliant idea, listening to audio books! (We have the same literary tastes, too - I love 'Door into Summer' et al! :-D ) I spend my quilting time listening to all my old music CDs, but often wish I could read and quilt at the same time. I never thought about audio books! How stoopid am I? Doh!

Hope the back isn't too bad. I do all my cutting on the floor and that really gets my back, too.

Good luck with getting the quilt finished in time!

Leni from Pinner x

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Ferret, you set such high expectations for yourself...I hope it will not end up costing you back surgery or weeks of bedrest! Set a timer and do a few stretches every hour. I once went to a physical therapist who said you need to "rotate the tires" when working in the same position for awhile. Be good to yourself!