Thursday, June 26, 2008

My quilts read my blog.

It certainly seems like they do anyway. Today the postman brought me a box. Odd, for once I wasn't expecting anything. It wasn't a small box either and had the feel of fabric to it. Weighty but no rattle. Nope still not ringing any bells. It had a customs declaration from Germany, and that really confused me. I can only think of one thing I would be buying from there and I have that planned for the Festival of quilts. So, perplexed, I opened the box and found one of my quilts inside! It's 'Winter Star' home from it's travels. See it must have read Mondays post.

I don't know quite where it has been, but it seems safe to assume it's last stop was Germany. If I had known it was on it's way back I would have entered it into Houston, but you can't win them all. I think it will be just young enough to try next year. I'd like to give it a go as several people have said they think it is the best quilt I have made. For now it is on display at Patchwork Corner, trying to get the creases out. I do find that my whole cloth quilts seem very prone to picking up creases. I will have to go over to wool wadding as soon as possible.

My final NEC piece is giving me trouble. I am especially upset by it as I actually made a prototype of this one. A first for me. It didn't help, I don't like the real thing at all. I think my main issue is the trapunto just isn't as crisp and even as I would like. So I have redesigned my quilt and will start again in a couple of days. I have some customer work I can be doing in the mean time.

and 4pm Sunday the 6 Next weekend is the Project Linus Quiltathon at Patchwork Corner. We have a good number of helpers signed up already but more would be good. If you can spare any time between 10am Saturday the 5thth we would love to see you. There will be plenty of sewing cutting and pressing to be done. Also if you would like to donate any fabric we would be happy to have more. We are especially looking for more fabrics for boys. I know they are trickier to find, but we must try to help both sexes evenly. As well as showing you some techniques for very quick quilts we will have a machine quilting frame set up. Perhaps this would be a good time for you to get some practice at using it.

No comments: