Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My quilts at the NEC





I've been trying to sort out my pictures from the NEC, and I have decided I really need to make quilts that are easier to photograph. Still here is what I managed to get, so far.

First is a close up of 'Guide me'. This is a wholecloth, all the colour and pattern is quilting, unfortunately none of the pictures of the whole quilt came out. Maybe with a lot of work on the computer we might be able to get one, but don't hold your breath. This is a perfect example of a difficult quilt. I guess this is one I need to get photographed professionally.


The nude ius also tricky. It always seems to come out a bit dark, but when I try to lighten it it never looks quite right. If the camera screens were accurate, a couple of people did manage to get great pictures, but I wasn't one of them. Oh well. Hopefully one of the people with a good picture will send me one and I will share that.

'Winter Star' has nearly the same problem as 'Guide Me', fortunately the slightly higher contrast does improve the chance of getting a reasonable picture. It doesn't help when I don't manage to hold the camera straight on. This is the best picture I will have of this one for a year unless someone spots it in a show and sends me that instead. Ho hum. I did take several with different setting but this was by far the best for colour which I find the hardest thing to correct.

Finally we have 'Lily'. This one looks far better in the photo than in real life so I guess I can't complain. I do wish it had been on a white background so that the holes showed up, but realistically that wasn't likely. For some reason I didn't think of that when I was making it. Given it has hanging issues I may add a white background behind the holes during the rebuild process. Given this is my best piece from the show I think it is probably worth the effort to fix the problems.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I was thrilled to see Nude With Rope at the FOQ, its is even more stunning in real life.