Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dissenters Gallery

Here are some pictures of the Dissenters Gallery where I will be having my show.

I took these a couple of weeks ago to allow me to plan where I will hang things. It suddenly occured to me you might like to see the space too. The Dissenters Gallery is attatched to the Dissenters Chapel which is at one end of Kensal Green Cemetary. It has it's own entrance, as well as being accessed from the cemetary itself, but if you are there during the day it is lovely to walk through the cemetary from the main entrance.

To the left of the first picture you can see entrance, which is next to a huge window, essentially that whole wall is glass. It faces a long flat wall where I am planning on hanging some of my longer and less flexible pieces. I quite like the fact that the longest wall is broken up into sections by vertical pillars. It sort of adds an extra frame to the work.

You can see a doorway in the curved wall next to the entrance. I am hoping I can hang a small piece on the wall inside it. It's a funny little alcove but again it nicely frames whaever is hung there. I've got a couple of ideas, but you will have to wait for the opening to see if I actually manage to do it all. That will be the trickiest place to hang anything as there isn't a picture rail there, but I think I aught to be able to come up with a cunning solution.

As you follow the curved wall arround the gallery narrows to almost a corridor. If you look at the third picture you can see there are skylights all the way down it. I am hoping that having light coming in from above will really show up the quilting well. In the evening the rows of lights should produce a similar, yet different effect.

The tables in the middle of the room won't be there for the show, but depending on how many people sign up for the classes we may set them up and work in the gallery. It's nice to have the option.

Finally this is the view from the door. The wall directly ahead is flat, but the brick wall to the right is another curved wall. Depending on your perspective this gallery is somewhere between challenging and quirky. I am enjoying working out ways to hang large pieces on curved walls. Apparently most people just put small things on them, but I don't really do small so I have to come up with other ways to deal with the walls.

No comments: