Saturday, November 10, 2007

The quilt that sang




I guess it proves that being nice can get you the information you need. I was getting very worried that this quilt wouldn't tell me what it wanted, and the only guidance the piecer had was quilt the not blocks. Hmmm OK. I could see what she meant but I could not see how to achieve it. Part of my problem was I wanted to do something slightly different on the two styles of 'sashing'. The solution to that was the key to me working out what I needed to do.

I have feathers on the brain at the moment, and I have been wanting to do some sort of interwoven feathers. I knew I wanted to leave the diagonal lines of white squares unquilted so I had to find an alternative to the spined feather. I went for what I think of as inside out feathers, they are really just two half feathers without a spine, but they do hold the coloured section down leaving the white squares to leap up.

To make the secondary blocks clearer I wanted to join them very solidly, so the sun or flower was ideal for the job, I felt that the dense center helped hold the four corners together. I was really pleased when the owner said it is a pattern she uses when she quilts, see the quilt did know what I should be doing.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

A lovely tune!

Ferret said...

Thanks Vicki. I was so good to hear it, I had had the quilt a while and I was getting worried.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Brilliant! This turned out so beautiful, Ferret.

Nellie's Needles said...

You are GOOD! Seeing your result, I cannot even imagine another solution.