Thursday, February 15, 2007

Secrets revealed.





Finally I can start revealing things I have been working on. Firstly I decided to make my own valentines cards this year. Well postcards at least. I like to try and avoid spending money on a commercial holiday, but I like the idea of expressing your feeling so these are made mostly from scraps. Frugal greetings. Just perfect.

As you can see I didn't finish all of them. I didn't need that many but I wanted to make several to give me a chance to play. I started by cutting a lot of hearts from the red scraps. I even cut one from a pieced scrap, the bottom one in the line of three. It looks really cool in the flesh. I could then play with different layouts. I really want to do some sort of exploding thing, and one where they erupt and make a heart. I kinda got that feel on some of them.

Next year I am planning a bed quilt with a valentines theme, so one of these may get to grow up into a big quilt. I like the black and red much better than the more pastel designs, so I think I will try and get a magazine interested in some valentines projects. I've got a few ideas to reuse this kind of design, from these which are very quick, all the way to very involved bed quilts. What do you think? Are hearts a good motif for a project? I have to admit that it wasn't something I would have expected to like, but I can see a lot of potential now.

6 comments:

Penny said...

They are effective: I really like them. I can see them as a pair of matching place mats for a romantic meal.

Ferret said...

Ooooh, good idea I like that.

Dormouse said...

Ferret - they are gorgeous. Having been playing with red and pink and black lately I'm getting quite into it.

Penny - I love that idea, can I steal it?

Penny said...

Well, its up to Ferret really...

Ferret said...

Go for it Dormouse, but please post pictures. If I do it too I will mention yours as well.

Dormouse said...

Thank you. I've got lots of pink and red 'bits' and a big chunk of black left. I certainly will post pictures if I make them.