Tuesday, February 06, 2007

More from the vault




So, here is another batch from the photo shoot. The first in this batch is 'Bubbles'. I made it in a class with Pat Deacon. I almost finished it during the weekend of the class. The fabrics in it are all my own hand dyes, and I am very pleased with how well they work together. I keep thinking I should dye some more of these two colour fabrics, but I have so many projects on the go I haven't had time. I must get around to it soon.

Next is my most unsuccessful quilt. 'Bicameral Pierrot'. It has been in a few shows, and it has to be said the judges really don't like it. I love it. I find it really lively and comfortable. Until it finds a new home I am quite happy to look at it.

The tulips were also made in a class, but one I was teaching. They aren't entirely how I had planned to do it. One of the students made a mistake on her tulips and they looked so much better I copied them. I guess they prove there are chances to learn everywhere. I've put up the back as well as it shows the quilting better. This was one of my earlier longarm projects and I think it came out rather well. Unfortunately it is very tricky to photograph, and both sides need treating in different ways. Something we did discover is that different quilts need very different lighting. I had read that quilts like to be lit from the side with a defuse light. Having played around for an afternoon that seems to be true of flatter paler quilts. For the more textured quilts a more direct light seems to work far better. I guess it is just one of these things you have to try.

Lastly, there is 'Union Jack'. I keep trying to get good pictures of this quilt, and I haven't had much luck. I now understand why. It has a lot of contrast, it has very different luminosities in different areas. It really is a test of photographers skill. Fortunately I had some who knew what she was doing, and we got a pretty good picture. In closeup you can read the quilting now.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Your quilts are totally amazing. I love the rainbow one in spite of there being no green. I think black backgrounds make the colors look so vibrant.