Sunday, June 25, 2006

Ta-Da




Here they are at last. All done. These are my nudes. Please excuse the background. I haven't got anywhere plain to hang my quilts. I think I will have to look into renting a photographic studio at some point but not right now. At the shows I expect the will all be hung on black back cloths which should make the nudes really glow. I was looking at the effects of colour and technique on an image. The grey one is made up of quarter inch squares, which is what was needed to get the look I was after but never again. It was so boring to do and quite stressful. Sneezing or even breathing hard could move the pieces. The red one was the quickest and the most fun. It is all little triangular shards of fabric. I love that the end result has the look and texture of oil paints. I will be doing more like this. I am thinking of trying a landscape in this very soon. The final panel in blue is the same technique I use for all the cat portraits and Miss Baltimore. They are all quilted in much the same way, trying to pick up on the contours of the female form. I have loved working on these and I already have my next nude lined up. I have got as far as the master drawing but I can't work on it until I have got the other show quilts out of the way.

The cat is called Loki. He is the second of my six to have his portrait done, last year I did Skadi as a class project in Realistic Fabric Portraits with Marilyn Belford at www.quiltuniversity.com. Skadi won second place at Sandown last year. I've done a lot less thread painting on Loki. He sat for months while I tried to decide what I was going to do. I finally made up my mind when a very good artist I know said I had already captured the quintessential black and white cat. That was it, he was finished.

2 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

I didn't know what to expect. WOW!!! for the nudes and your cat pieces. I'd love the experience of actually seeing your amazing work.

Ferret said...

Thanks. I am planning on sending my work out into the big wide world but it is a very scary and fairly pricey undertaking