Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hair = wood

Well I have a surprise interlude so I thought I would fill it by writing here. I am trying to finish the Miss Baltimore quilt top. All I have left to do is the chair she is leaning on. I thought about trying to redraw her arm but I am not good a drawing so I decided it was easier to just leave it in. Most of the chair can be made from the same fabrics that I used for her hair but I don't have the darker shades I need. Given I painted the hair fabrics anyway I've just gone over one of them with a little more dark brown and I just have to wait for it to dry.

I got a package today which is always a good start to the day. Even better it is the nomex thread I ordered last week, good going given it came from the US. It means that I can now repair the pocket on sir's race suit. I know that in theory I could get away with using standard polyester thread but I don't like taking risks with safety gear. The problem with the polyester is that it would melt in a fire, which would leave the wearer with bits of polyester stuck to them. More importantly it would also leave holes in the suit and that would result in a line of burns. So for the effort of ordering the right thread I can do the job properly. It also means I can replace a zip in another suit, which is far more critical to get right. I suppose I should start hunting around for a suitable zip now.

No comments: