Thursday, June 29, 2006

Miss Baltimore Update


So do I drag this out and put this entry on in order or do I put you out of your misery. I guess most quilters can figure it out given the show doesn't open until tomorrow and I have an update. I has a rather odd phone call this evening, a lady asked for Mrs Ferret, then lost reception on her phone. It took several minutes before she had enough signal for me to be able to return the call. During that time it was puzzling, here was someone calling me, in the evening but not knowing I am just Ferret, I never use a title. Turns out she was from Grosvenor exhibitions calling to tell me I have won the long arm prize at the National Quilt Championships. I am beyond pleased, this is the award I really wanted. I didn't think I had a chance in the theme category (they have to give the prize to a hand sewn Baltimore beauty really, I wonder if they did) but I thought the quilting was good and I was hoping I would get a judges merit certificate. This is so much better than that. Fortunately I was planning on going to the show on the Sunday to collect my quilts so I can go to the awards ceremony as well. No idea what I have won, and honestly I don't care. They appreciated my quilting and that means a lot.

To celebrate we had to go and eat sushi :) Well what else would I do. So I took the opportunity to photograph the sushi rice. I want to make myself a wall hanging that says "Will quilt for sushi" and I want the letters to be spaces in quilting that looks like rice. I think it will be fun. The tricky bit I think will be making sure I don't let the grains of rice align when I quilt them. When we got home we went for a walk in the park and chatted to dog owners to collect pictures of dogs as source material for more quilts.

As you can see from the pictures I have been working on 'See Sound'. I traced the lines for the front onto the fabric. I really need to get a light box, the window does work but it really makes my arms ache and thus takes far longer than it needs to. I've also started stitching the lines in. I think it looks really good. It isn't as wrinkled in real life as it looks in the pictures.

I think I will be grinning randomly for the next few days, at least until I pick up the award. Mikki if you read this before Sunday you've picked a fine time to be efficient I was going to surprise you.

2 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Wonderful news! Congratulations! I can hardly wait to hear how your other entries faired. It's always great when others give recognition to your creative effort and hard work ... and I can't help but feel equally bummed when they don't.

Ferret said...

I don't mind not getting recognition when I can see why others did. At a show I entered recently I was fine that my quilt didn't place, there were 4 quilts that I think deserved it more. What did upset me was that I could see no merit in the one that won the class, and I felt one of the others had missed out unfairly. Oddly I then felt hard done by because I didn't feel the judging was fair. Odd really when if it had been fair I still wouldn't have got anything. On the other hand I suspect there will be people getting upset with Miss Baltimore being in the Baltimore Beauty theme. I guess you can't please everyone.