Thursday, June 22, 2006

Committed?

I am, or maybe I should be. Karen McTavish in her DVD says that deciding to do any sort of dense quilting is a commitment. Yup she's right. OK I had guessed she was but it is different when you find out first hand. I've done all the quilting I can get at on Miss Baltimore herself. Because her bra is padded I can't roll it onto the take up roller, so I will have to do half the quilt then turn it round. No it isn't the approved method but then I doubt most people has needed to quilt a full bra either. On Miss Baltimore I just need to quilt her left arm and the chair. Of course with my abilities with left and right that could be her right arm :)

Anyway back to the should I be committed. I thought it would be a good idea to use my curly background filler for everything that is not her (well except maybe the banner I haven't decided yet). I tried other fillers but they are either too common or I am not good enough at them. I like my filler and I think it is fairly quick. Or should I say thought. I've been working on the background for over 3 hours and I have got from the top of her head to about mid thigh level. It looks great but at this rate I have anther 2 hours to get to her feet where I can think about turning the quilt. If I decide to do as much as I can before turning, probably a good idea, it is going to be more like 4 hours. Then I can turn, and quilt her arm and the chair, then another 3 hours at least to finish the background. It's going to be a long hard day tomorrow. Still with the guys out and the house to myself I might get there. Either way with a deadline looming I think I probably should be committed.

There is one other small technical problem with this quilt. I don't like the quilting I have done on her face. I've asked for other opinions and we are all in agreement. Something isn't right. However we aren't sure what and of course have no idea how to fix it. Hopefully inspiration will strike over night.

No comments: