Saturday, September 18, 2010

What a week!

It's been a busy week for me and a bit of a shock to the system. The day before term started for my regular classes I taught Autumn Leaves at Patchwork Corner. It was fun and although we were missing one student, hope you get well soon, we had a lot of fun and the projects came on well. I am looking forward to seeing them finished.

Wednesday , was the first day of term and as usual it was busy. Everyone was starting new things and even most of the people in the middle of projects had saved problems to bring to class. It was tiring, but quite fun really. There were new students, and old students returning, so lots of new names to remember too. One of my returning students brought in a copy of the new British Patchwork and Quilting magazine. It has a teaser report on the Festival of Quilts including pictures of some of my garments and of me and Linzi with the dueling longarms.

I got home Wednesday to find a magazine waiting at home. It was the above copy of Popular Patchwork. That was exciting too. I knew it was time for the final part of Davina's Stay at Home quilt. I was lucky enough to quilt one of her samples and this month is quilting. i am thrilled with the write up, and that she noticed a lot of the little details that I think make the difference. However while I was looking for that item I found Bad Rain. It made their review of the Festival. Given that I am still amazed at how well this is recieved by quilters, it's a huge thrill to see it in a magazine.

Thursday I headed for Reading and a talk. It went really well and I had a lot of fun. My hosts were very welcoming and yes I am loving the DVD. Friday I was teaching some of the ladies from the group to make art quilts. It's quite a full class, there is a lot of information I need to get across in a day, but they all did very well. As ever I was amazed by the variety they achieved using the same patterns. I was also impressed with how much they got done and their willingness to give things a go. I hope I will see some pictures from them soon.

I knew that Friday was the day the winners from Innovations were published. As I have two quilts there I thought I would check for results. Nothing. No results on the web and no email. Well so be it, I've seen previous winners, they are good so I wasn't that surprised. Imagine my shock this morning when I checked the APQS forum and found the picture of Nude with Rope above. I'm guessing that is a judged second place I'm not quite certain yet. I was rather pleased. The ideal mood to arrive at a talk. While I finished setting up Tet thought he would have a look at the picture, then he called me over. He said I hadn't looked properly, I thought he meant that it wasn't the award I thought. Nope he had found the picture of Greek Fossils! We think that has a judged third and a peer review ribbon. I can't quite believe it.

Now I am in a lovely field in my van near Rugby. Tomorrow I am teaching Speed Quilts, I wonder if they will be ready for it ;) It's a fast fun class and they will be working hard. I hope it goes OK, but for now I think I will finish watching this movie and get some slow sewing done.

8 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Oh well done on the awards.

Thanks for the pics of the motorhome... And the car - I hadn't seen a capri for years, and then the next day there was a yellow one on my neighbour's drive!

Benta

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Very very well deserved!!!

Susan Briscoe said...

Congratulations!

Liz said...

Congratulations on the awards and your greatly entertaining talk. I really enjoyed seeing your quilts up closer than most people today! Looking forward to tomorrows workshop.

Vicki W said...

Sounds like a wonderful week!

Rafael's Mum said...

Congratulations!! Richly deserved as they are both wonderful quilts. I enlarged nude with rope and I think that says 2nd?? I am sure you'll find out soon, looking forward to seeing what you got!

Sharon S said...

Your quilts at Innovations were stunning. So glad I finally I got to see your work in person! Congrats!

Sharon said...

Wow, I have looked at your work via the web but didn't realize this was your quilt. The wholecloth was my abxolute, hands down, no other one was as good, favorite piece at Innovations. I blogged about it and posted a couple of photos. Congrats on the ribbons. When I recieved my quilt back I was thrilled to see a ribbon! HOw fun!